Friday, January 12, 2007

Baby, it's Cold Outside...

Y'all, here in the Pacific Northwest, we have been having some Weather.

At least, we have been trying to have some Weather. The Weather is not so much cooperating.

I have to say, much as I love living here in Portland, I hate hate hate the Portland news stations--radio, TV, or otherwise. They have the worst habit of horribly exaggerating EVERY LITTLE WEATHER BLIP. During the winter, they're constantly forecasting snow, only to say, "Whoops! Just kidding" the next day. It is maddening--unless you live here, you have no idea how frustrating it is!

In case you are not aware of the climate here in the Pacific Northwest, it is generally pretty temperate. Not too hot in the summer, not too cold in the winter, rains a lot, everything's green, very nice. Most of the time it seems like our winter temperatures stay around the mid thirties-to-forties. Very manageable (especially since it's probably raining).

I understand that we live in a wet area. And, if the temperature dips below freezing, then it most likely will be icy. I understand all of that. And yet, these stupid news weatherpeople turn every cold front into "THE STORM OF THE CENTURY." I kid you not.

So, the point of this whole "weather" blather (oh my god, I'm actually writing a blog entry about the weather! What is wrong with me?) was that earlier this week we were supposed to get a big snowstorm, temperatures in the teens and twenties, the world will end, etc.

But guess what? It didn't happen.

Sure, we got some snow. Some being the operative word here. Most of the Metro area got anywhere from a dusting to an inch. And then it all melted because it was 35-38 degrees outside.

Guess those newscasters have egg on their face. One of the local stations actually has a weather blog, and they admitted that they should have paid more attention to other weather models that forecasted the lack of moisture. Gee, ya think? Too bad you were too busy trying to get some stupid ratings for your damn television station!

So, to the point:

Lack of snow notwithstanding, it finally has gotten cold. Y'all, it's 25 degrees outside right now. I realize that's nothing if you're from Montana or wherever, but here in Portland, it's colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra! And I am FREEZING my ass (and toes, and fingers too for that matter) off!

Y'all, I'm sorry for this post. Truly I am. If you've stuck with me this long, I applaud you! I'll post something more exciting soon, I promise!

No comments: